What is IELTS?
To find a test date and register for the IELTS, click here.
The international English language testing system (IELTS) is the world’s most popular English language proficiency test for higher education and global migration, with over 2 million tests taken in the last year and is accepted by over +9,000 organisations worldwide, including schools, universities, employers, immigration authorities and professional bodies.
IELTS is jointly owned by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Language Assessment. For more information please visit www.ielts.com.au.
NOTE: Please do NOT download paper registration forms from this ielts.org, as they will not be accepted by us! Registration MUST be done online here.
You can take IELTS Academic module or IELTS General Training module – depending on the organisation to which you are and your plans for the future.
If you are not an EU or EFTA (Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) citizen and you are applying for a visa to move to or remain in the UK, please read this important information about the IELTS test for UK visa and Immigration proposes.
- Bergen: 2800
- Oslo, Hamar, Stavanger, Haugesund og Trondheim: 2850
UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI)
Please click here for more information about UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI).
Important information if you are applying for a UK Visa
UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) has announced important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELT) for visa purposes.
If you are applying for a UK visa, you need to be aware of changes made by UKVI.
What are the changes?
• IELTS for UKVI purposes can only be taken at an IELTS test location specifically authorised by UKVI, and taken under conditions specified by UKVI.
• A new test, IELTS Life Skills, will be introduced for customers who need to prove their speaking and listening skills at levels A1 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference.
Who are we?
We provide the IELTS for UKVI and IELTS Life Skills authorised testing locations, on behalf of the British Council UK test centre. The locations for this testing have been designated and approved by UKVI, and the full list of the testing location is available at Take IELTS. The test administration is managed by the British Council UK.
For more information and booking, please visit http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi.
Applying for Tier 4 student visa?
These changes do not affect you if you are applying to study at degree level or higher at a Higher Education Institution (HEI). UKVI have confirmed that HEIs currently choose their own method of testing students' English language ability and this will not change.All British universities and colleges accept IELTS results. See www.takeielts.britishcouncil.org for a list of test locations. Official list of British Universities and Colleges with Highly Trusted Sponsor Status/Tier 4 register of sponsor: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-students.
IELTS - the world's most popular test of English for higher education and global migration - has been approved for all UK visas that require applicants to provide proof of their level of English. This continues the important role which IELTS has long played in language testing for immigration in the UK and other countries, including Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
IELTS test for UK Visas and Immigration are managed by the IELTS SELT Consortium, which comprises British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
For further information on the IELTS test for UK Visas and Immigration, you can write to the British Council at IELTSUKVINorway@britishcouncil.org.
Stavanger, Haugesund, Bergen and Trondheim
If you are taking the test in either of these cities, you can find local information in our brochure: Step by step guide to IELTS.
Test modules - Academic or General Training?
I want to:
• Study at university at undergraduate or postgraduate level - IELTS Academic
• Join a professional organisation in an English-speaking country - IELTS Academic
• Train or study at below degree level - IELTS Academic
• Work or undertake work-related training in an English-speaking country - IELTS General Training
• Emigrate to an English-speaking country - IELTS General Training
The Official IELTS Practice Materials is a collection of previous tests, and includes a complete Academic and a complete General Training IELTS test, with answer keys. Also included is a DVD with examples of the listening and speaking tests, allowing you to explore the entire test in your own home.
The materials also feature answers and comments from IELTS examiners, to help give you an overview of what is expected of you when you take the test. The Official IELTS Practice Materials are intended to give IELTS candidates an idea of what the test is like. They also give candidates the opportunity to test themselves to see whether their English is at the level required to succeed at the IELTS.
The Official IELTS Practice Materials can be bought in person at the IELTS office in Bergen or Oslo, or ordered online, for NOK 250. (NOK 400 for online orders, including postage and packing).
IELTS Preparation Courses
For IELTS Preparation Courses, please click here.
IELTS Application: Terms and Conditions
I acknowledge that the IELTS test is jointly owned by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment, collectively referred to as the IELTS Test Partners.
I certify that the information on this Application Form is complete, true and accurate.
I understand that the personal data on this Application Form is collected for the purposes of the IELTS test, and I consent for this data to be disclosed to, processed and stored by the IELTS Test Partners for the purpose of such administration. I further consent for this data, including, without limitation, test performance or score data or photographs taken by the IELTS test centre and my test result to be disclosed by the IELTS Test Partners to those Recognising Organisations to which I apply and to governments (including visa processing authorities) for the purpose of allowing these organisations to verify my test result or to carry out enquiries in relation to suspected malpractice. If the IELTS Test Partners discover that a false or altered Test Report Form has been provided to any of these Recognising Organisations or government authorities I further consent that the IELTS Test Partners may inform the same and provide them with my personal data and any relevant details relating to the work I produce as part of my test taking, including, without limitation, test performance or score data or photographs taken by the IELTS test centre.
I understand that my personal data may be processed in an anonymous form for statistical and research purposes for the development of Cambridge English Language Assessment examinations. Cambridge English Language Assessment and the centre administering the test confirm that they will not disclose personal information about candidates to others except as stated in this Declaration or to the extent permitted by law.
I understand that I may view a copy of my personal data contained in the Application Form by contacting email@example.com. I understand that a fee will be charged for access to this information.
I understand that if I want a copy of my finger scan it can only be provided as a Binary Large Object (BLOB) and the request must be made to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. I understand a fee will be charged for access to this information.
I understand that if the details on this form are not completed my application may not be processed. I further understand that completing and submitting this Application Form does not guarantee enrolment on my preferred test date or at my preferred test location. I understand that my enrolment will be confirmed in writing from the test centre.
I understand that any personal data collected during the identity verification process by the centre either at test registration or on test day will be processed and securely stored by the IELTS Test Partners for the purpose of the IELTS test. I acknowledge that the photograph taken of me by the centre will be provided upon request to any Recognising Organisations or government authorities (including visa processing authorities) to which I apply for the purposes of allowing these organisations to verify my test results or to carry out enquiries in relation to possible malpractice or test integrity issues. I understand that where finger-scan data is obtained it will not be disclosed to any entity except the IELTS Test Partners.
I understand that I will have my photograph taken by the test centre to allow the Test Report Form to be released. If I have not had my photograph taken by the test centre no result will be issued.
I acknowledge that I have read the IELTS Notice to Candidates contained on page i of this document and agree to abide by the rules and regulations contained therein.
I understand there may be local terms and conditions I must comply with and that the test centre will provide details of these on request.
I understand that the IELTS Test Partners have a responsibility to all candidates and Recognising Organisations to ensure the highest confidence in the accuracy and integrity of test results and that the IELTS Test Partners therefore reserve the right to withhold test results temporarily or permanently, or to cancel test results which have been issued, if they consider those results to be unreliable for reasons of suspected malpractice or any other irregularity in the test process.
I understand that my result may not be issued 13 days after the test if any of the IELTS Test Partners deem it necessary to review any matter associated with my test or the administration of my test, including making enquiries as to whether any rules or regulations have been breached, as outlined in the IELTS Notice to Candidates.
I understand that in exceptional circumstances I may be required to re-take one or more IELTS components.
I understand that if I am suspected of engaging in any form of malpractice, or do anything that might damage the integrity and security of IELTS, I may not receive a test result, my test fee will not be refunded and I may be prohibited from taking the IELTS test in the future.
Despite and without limiting any of the terms of this Declaration, I understand that details of any malpractice (including evidence of suspected malpractice) that has been established, is suspected, or is being formally investigated may be provided to Recognising Organisations, including visa processing authorities and appropriate regulatory authorities, or otherwise disclosed in accordance with the law, where required for verification purposes or other purposes to protect the IELTS test and its stakeholders against any form of malpractice. I further understand that suspected malpractice will be reported centrally to the IELTS Test Partners and to any relevant test centre by the centre where the suspected malpractice occurred.
I understand that if I engage in any form of malpractice, or do anything that might damage the integrity and security of IELTS, I may be banned from taking the IELTS test in the future. I understand that if I am banned I will receive a notification stating the length of the ban. I understand that if I am subject to a ban and I register to take the test, I will not receive a result and I will not be entitled to a refund.
I understand that if any other person attempts to take the IELTS test in my place (i.e. in place of the person whose details appear on this form), both I and such person will be liable to prosecution. Details relating to the situation may be provided to the relevant authorities, including visa processing authorities and appropriate regulatory authorities.
I understand that the work I produce as part of the IELTS test remains the property of the IELTS Test Partners. Under no circumstances will it be released to candidates or to institutions or organisations, except in the investigation of suspected malpractice whereby the work I produce as part of the IELTS test may be provided to relevant authorities.
I understand that my Speaking test will be recorded. I also agree that an observer may attend my Speaking test as part of the monitoring process.
I understand that I will be charged the full test fee upon registration. I understand that if I request a transfer or cancel my test, my right to a refund will be determined in accordance with local legislation.
I understand that this test result cannot be used for UKVI application purposes and that I will not be eligible for a refund if I subsequently find that I require an IELTS for UKVI test result.
I acknowledge that I have read the IELTS Information for Candidates booklet.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is designed to be one of many factors used by academic institutions, government agencies, professional bodies and employers in determining whether a test taker can be admitted as a student or be considered for employment or for citizenship purposes. IELTS is not designed to be the sole method of determining admission or employment for the test taker. IELTS is made available worldwide to all persons, regardless of age, gender, race, nationality or religion, but it is not recommended to persons under 16 years of age.
British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment and any other party involved in creating, producing, or delivering IELTS shall not be liable for any direct, incidental, consequential, indirect, special, punitive, or similar damages arising out of access to, use of, acceptance by, or interpretation of the results by any third party, or any errors or omissions in the content thereof.
The British Council regards the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as important to our successful operations and to the maintenance of confidence of those with whom we deal. As such this statement will apply equally to all of our offices irrespective of where they are based.
We will ensure that our staff and those acting on our behalf obtain, use and disclose personal information lawfully and correctly. To this end we fully endorse and adhere to the principles of data protection, as set out in the UK Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"). We shall apply the Act globally, except where part or all of any local law is stronger.
Information about the Test Day
Bring to the test:
- The same passport that you used in your online application. During the test your passport will be checked twice (at least), in accordance with British Council terms.
- Water in a transparent bottle. No food or other drinks are allowed in the test room.
Please leave at home:
- Dictionaries, thesaurus and any other test aids. These are not allowed.
- Your pencil case. All stationery you need – pencils, erasers and sharpeners – will be provided.
- Valuable items. Personal belongings will be locked in a room during the test. However, please note that Folkeuniversitetet Øst does not accept responsibility for these items.
Inside the test room – You should NOT have:
- Smart watches
- Mobile phones
- Large jackets
Registration: 08:00. Be punctual. Test takers arriving late might not be able to take the test.
Listening: 30 minutes. The written parts of the test will take place between 09.00 and 12.00 (approximately)
Reading: 60 minutes
Writing: 60 minutes
Speaking: 15-20 minutes. The speaking test takes place on Friday (all day) or on Saturday afternoon
Terms and Conditions - Oslo Centre
Securing your test space:
Please be advised that online registrationg is binding.
Full TEST PAYMENT, a PASSPORT copy, a signed APPLICATION SUMMARY, and MEDICAL documentation (where applicable) must be received at least 2 weeks before the test date (registration deadline).
If payment and/or documents are not received, you will be removed from the test but still be liable for the full test fee (Administrative Cancellation).
Cancellation, date change or absence:
• Should you not be able to sit the test, written notification must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on the registration deadline.
• Cancellations before this deadline will result in a refund, minus an administration fee of NOK 700.
• Transfers before the deadline are available for a charge of NOK 700.
• Any cancellation or request for date change AFTER the aforementioned date will incur THE ENTIRE TEST FEE (NOK 2850).
• If cancellation, date change or absence is due to medical reasons, a sykemelding form or legeerklæring from a registered medical practitioner is required within 3 working days. A full refund will be given minus an administration fee of NOK 700,-
• The fees listed above are applicable regardless of whether or not you have already paid at the time of cancellation/transfer.
• If you will be absent for any reason on the test day, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can inform the invigilators and examiners.
During the test:
• All test instructions will be given in English
• Speaking test may be held either tye day before, the same day or the day after main section
• The speaking test will also be held at our centre at Rolf Wickstrøms vei 15, Oslo
• The date of the speaking times depends on where you live or travel from
• Speaking times can not be changed after allocation
• You must bring your original passport to the speaking test
• You must arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled speaking time
• All speaking test will be recorded
• Please note that speaking examiners are not allowed to comment on or discuss your performance during the speaking test not give any indication as to your grades
• Only the PASSPORT you registered with will be accepted as identification on test day. You will not be granted access to the test room without your original passport.
• No food or personal belongings are allowed in the test room. Personal belongings will be locked in a separate room for the duration of the test. However, Folkeuniversitetet does not accept responsibility for these items.
• The only type of drink allowed into the test room is bottled water (clear, see through bottle).
• Please note that our test centre in Oslo does not use headphones for the listening test.
• Should you be late, you will not be allowed into the room once the test has started.
• You cannot leave the room during the test without permission from an invigilator.
• There is no FREE parking on the premises. Few spaces are managed and regulated by a PRIVATE company. Folkeuniveristetet Øst is NOT responsible for parking in these private spaces.
• On the date results are released, candidates can collect them at our reception (Folkeuniversitetet Oslo) between 09:00 and 1230.
• On the test date, please note down your candidate number, registered passport number and test date, as you will need this information to check your results online.
• Results will be available online from approximately 10.00 hrs on the 13th day after test day.
• Any results not collected will be sent by first class post on the same day. Registered post can be provided at extra cost.
• Results can only be sent to the receiving institutions via the IELTS testing centre, i.e. Folkeuniversitetet Øst, Oslo, and not via the candidate.
• There will be a charge of NOK 175 for each Test Report Form sent more than one month after the date of the test. Five copies can be sent for free within the first calendar month of the test date.
• We can delay sending copies of the test results to the institution(s) until you have received the results yourself. Please inform us if you would like us to wait until you give us further instructions. Please send requests to: email@example.com
• Test results are valid for a period of two years.
• UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL RESULTS BE GIVEN VIA FAX, PHONE OR EMAIL.
Enquiry on Results (EOR)
IELTS grading procedures are subject to detailed quality control procedures which ensure consistency in assessment. This meticulous system for grading provides standardized IELTS testing and assessment around the world. Please be reminded that all papers are graded twice by two independent examiners before grades are set.
However, if you believe an error has been made, you may apply for an Enquiry on Results (EOR). Requests must be made to firstname.lastname@example.org within 4 weeks of the test date.
Please note that this process will take up to 10 weeks, and has a cost of NOK 600*. Please also be aware that results may not be changed in your favor, and that your amended results are final. If your results are changed in your favor, you will be reimbursed.
Please contact the IELTS office at email@example.com to arrange a time. You must bring your original Test Report Form (TRF), and your valid Passport.