The written test is designed for foreigners who intend to apply for admission to a Norwegian university or college, as well as for Norwegian citizens who have graduated from secondary schools abroad and for job-applicants in Norway (e.g. medical practitioners, native language teachers, and those who are required to document their Norwegian language skills).
The oral test, has been designed mainly for healthcare workers and other foreigners who are required to document their Norwegian speaking skills at advanced level, when applying for studies or a job in Norway.
Information about the test
When can I take the test?
Please see the map on the Norwegian homepage for the relevant dates.
Where can I take the test?
- Alta (April only)
- Bodø (April only)
- Førde (April only)
- Written test: 2390,- (NOK) in 2018
- Oral test: 1030,- (NOK) in 2018
Rules for registration
- Registration is binding.
- You cannot register for the test after the deadline, and we do not refund the test fee after the deadline.
- You can withdraw from the test up until the deadline for registration and receive the test fee in full.
- You can change test location up until the deadline as long as there are free places. You will not be able to change test location after the deadline.
Registration is only possible through the website.
When you register, a profile will be set up in our system. You will then receive an email with your password and a link to use to log in.
Your candidate number and information about the time and place for the test will be available on your profile 10 days before the test.
After the test you will need to log in here to see your result.
If your chosen test location is full, you can choose to be placed on the waiting list.
- If a free place comes up, and you are next on the list, you will be contacted by us. If you do not hear from us, then there is unfortunately no free place for you on the test.
- Please note that a place on the waiting list does not guarantee you a place on the test.
- You are not committed to accepting a place if offered one.
- 10 days before the test, no further places will be offered, as it isn't possible to register new candidates so close to the test date.
Candidates can apply for special requirements to be able to take the test.
We will need to receive documentation about the condition, latest three days after the registration deadline.
Special requirements for candidates with dyslexia:
Candidates can choose to either:
- take the test in the usual way, but with extra time* - Your answer will be assessed normally, and you will receive the standard test certificate.
- take the test in the usual way, but with extra time* and adjusted assessment - The examiner takes the diagnosis into consideration when assessing the paper. The test certificate will show that the assessment has been adjusted.
* Extra time: 30 minutes extra for Part 1, and 30 minutes extra for Part 2.
Candidates can also use a computer (without spellcheck or grammar correction) to write the answer texts for questions 3 and 5.
N.B. Reading and writing difficulties is a term used for many different conditions. It is often used as a synonym for dyslexia, but can also have a different meaning. We therefore must insist that any documentation sent in connection with a dyslexia diagnosis must state clearly that the candidate has dyslexia.
We attempt to follow the general standards for special requirements, but cannot guarantee to meet the needs of all candidates.
If you are sick on the day of the test and you can produce a doctor's note, then you can receive 50 % of the test fee back*. You must send us the absence form (Sykefravaersskjema.pdf) and the doctor's note within 10 days days of the test being held.
*An administration fee is charged for the following amounts: kr. 1195,- for the written test and kr. 515,- for the oral test.
If you fail to meet up for the test, or leave without having completed the test or delivered your answers, your test paper will be declared null and void, and your paper will not be marked.
Taking the test abroad
It is possible to take the written test abroad for those who are unable to travel to Norway.
We have a small range of practice tests for sale for those wishing to practice with examples of questions similar to those in the test. Please note that you will need both the booklet and the CD/USB to get the most benefit.
Currently we have editions from 2009, 2011 and 2016 in Bokmål, and an edition from 2009 in Nynorsk. We have recently released a practice test (2016) for the oral exam. You can order the material from our webshop.
- The results from the written test are released around 7 weeks after the test date. It is not possible to receive results earlier than the given date.
- The results from the oral test are released 10 days after the test date.
- The result will be available in your online profile on the given date.
- If you have passed, you will receive a certificate in the mail within a week after the results are released.
You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 22 98 88 22.
Our phone-lines are open every weekday* between 10.00 and 14.00 (except from 11.30-12.00).
*Please note that Norsk språktest will be closed during the summer holidays, from Friday June 29 to Tuesday July 30.
If you are already registered for the test, or you have taken a test with us before, you can log in here with your email address and your password.