It is possible, but not a right, for those living outside of Norway to take the test abroad.
- The test can only be taken abroad twice a year, in March/April and October, and as close as possible to the corresponding test date in Norway 30. March 2019 (28. March–2. April) and 19. October 2019 (17.–22. October).
- The test can be taken at a Norwegian embassy, consulate, the Norwegian Seamen's Mission, and even at a few universities: BFSU in Beijing, University of Beograd, University of Zürich and the University of Gdańsk.
- It is the responsibility of the candidate to contact the foreign mission and ask if they are able to run the test, and supply the foreign mission with the correct information about the test from our website ('Informasjon til potesiell testarrangør').
- The test fee is NOK 3500,–. All other fees and charges that the foreign mission charges must be met by the candidate.
How to apply for the test abroad
If you wish to take the test abroad, please read the following information carefully (in Norwegian):
- Informasjon til kandidater i utlandet (PDF) ( 287 kB )
- Informasjon til potensiell testarrangør (PDF) ( 200.6 kB )
You can only register for the test abroad by filling out and sending us the following forms to Bergenstesten@fu.no:
- Søknadsskjema for test i utlandet (DOC) ( 125.4 kB )
- Bekreftelse fra testarrangør (DOC) ( 146.9 kB )
Please note that the 'Bekreftelse fra testarrangør' form must be signed by a representative from the foreign mission, and not by the candidate.
Please note that the deadline for the test abroad is earlier than the test in Norway:
The Test in October 2018:
September 1, 2018
The Test in Spring 2018:
February 10, 2019
Please read all the information in the above documents before you contact us. If you still have questions you can contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org